[uClinux-dev] uClinux on 68000 confusion

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Mon Mar 24 17:19:17 EST 2003

Jivin Jonathan L Long lays it down ...
> I am attempting to put uClinux on my 68000 board. However, I am a bit confused
> about how to compile uClinux for the straight 68000. I have downloaded the
> latest uClinux-dev tarball. There are arch subdirs for m68k and m68knommu;
> what is the difference? Isn't uClinux only for systems without an MMU? Also,

uClinux is a set of patches to support systems without an MMU,  it
doesn't remove support for systems with an MMU, although you wouldn't be
the first to make that assumption :-)

> there is no arch/m68knommu/platform subdir for 68000; will the 68328 code run
> fine? Furthermore, if I select the 68000 processor when I make config, the
> code gives lots of problems because there are no #ifdef CONFIG_68000s in the
> source where there are for other processors. Should I just use 68328 config,
> or am I missing something obvious, or what?

No doubt your system will be different to the 68328 systems at some
level.  You could make a platform/68000 directory that is a copy of the
68328 area and go from there.  Since the 68328 platforms are built with
the gcc '-m68000' option,  you should find most of the code is fine.

What you will need to do it get the ram.ld/rom.ld files correct and the
crt0_ram.S or crt0_rom.S files correct for your platform.  The
interrupts and timers amd finally you will probably want a console/serial
port to get some output on.  I am not sure what your serial port looks like,
but you may find something compatible in the drivers/char area.

Also,  have a hunt around on the net (google),  I have a feeling I have seen
a site where someone had already done a 68000 port (I may be wrong :-)

Hope that helps a little,