[uClinux-dev] Using tmpfs, Please help

Andy Pichotta apichotta at controlproductsinc.com
Mon Mar 24 16:25:40 EST 2003

Hi All,

I wanted to experiment with tmpfs, (or some small ramfs) and digging
through the archives it looks like all I

need to do is enable virtual memory file system support in file systems
section of menuconfig.

When I enable this option then make dep && make, I don't see tmpfs under
/proc/filesystems

after booting the newly configured kernel:

# cat /proc/filesystems

nodev   rootfs

nodev   bdev

nodev   proc

nodev   sockfs

nodev   pipefs

           ext2

nodev   nfs

           romfs

Shouldn't tmpfs show up here as well?

I tried enabling ramfs in config then I get the addition of

nodev   ramfs

in /proc/filesystems

Now I can mount -t ramfs ramfs /mnt and copy files to and from ramfs.

What is the difference between ramfs and tmpfs?

The help section for ramfs says it is not really a usable fs, but just a
programming example.

What about it is not usable?

I am using 2.4.x, 20020907 dist. With 5272.

Thank you,

Andy