[uClinux-dev] Re: uclinux-elf-tools-20030314 released

Philippe De Muyter phdm at macqel.be
Mon Mar 24 11:23:45 EST 2003

David McCullough wrote :
> Yes,  everything I used to build them is included,  the script is called
> build-uclinux-elf-tools.sh,  look under:
>
> 	http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/m68k-elf-tools/tools-20030314/
>
> let me know if there is anything missing,

Well,

I build the new tool-chain using your script, and I have a few remarks :

- should the script not unpack uClibc and elf2flt itself, just as it does
for binutils, gcc, STLport ... ?

- must uClibc-0.9.19.patch.gz be applied, and how ?

- I have a patch available that fix a long-standing problem with -mcpu32
programs compilation :
	relocation truncated to fit: R_68K_PLT16
See attachment.

- I wonder why, if I compile a standalone client program with :

	make "CC=m68k-elf-gcc -v -m5307 -msep-data -Wl,-elf2flt" hello

it finds crt0.o, but fails with :

	hello.elf2flt: In function `_start':
	hello.elf2flt(.text+0x8): undefined reference to `__uClibc_main'

In my opinion, if crt0.o is automatically included, and crt0.o requests
libc.a, then libc.a must also be included.  As we build here a uClibc-
targetted compiler, I suggest that the build process adds -lc in the
specs file.  I have added '-lc' in the 'lib' field of the specs
file.  With that, I get a clean standalone compilation, and no problem for
the link of linux itself, because linux is not linked by gcc itself, but
directly by ld.

Philippe

Philippe De Muyter  phdm at macqel.be  Tel +32 27029044
Macq Electronique SA  rue de l'Aeronef 2  B-1140 Bruxelles  Fax +32 27029077