[uClinux-dev] hard disk, e2fsprogs on M5249C3

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Thu Mar 20 02:40:18 EST 2003

Hi Heiko,

Heiko Degenhardt wrote:
> I would like to use a hard disk attached to the M5249C3 eval board.
> The driver for ide is compiled into the kernel and detects the
> drive:
> ide: Assuming 50MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
> hda: probing with STATUS(0x50) instead of ALTSTATUS(0x7f)
> hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL EX6.4A, ATA DISK drive
> hdb: probing with STATUS(0x00) instead of ALTSTATUS(0x7f)
> hdb: probing with STATUS(0x00) instead of ALTSTATUS(0x7f)
> ide0 at 50000020 on irq 0x000000a5
> hda: 12594960 sectors (6449 MB) w/418KiB Cache, CHS=13328/15/63
> Question 1: Does this looks ok until here?

Yep, that looks about right.

> Then it gives:
> Partition check:
>    hda: unknown partition table
> May be this is not really important, because:

Hmmm, sorta interresting. I would have expected it to
pick up the partitions here. Maybe there is an
underlying endian problem with the partition check code.

> Question 2: Do I have to worry about this "unknown partition table"
> error if fdisk finally seems to find the partitions quiet well?

I think this will cause you some problems, and you can
easily check this. If it doesn't detect any partitions
during that boot then I suspect you cannot access /dev/hda1,
/dev/hda2, etc. Try hexdumping from those devices at the
command line.

> Question 3: I would like to use the e2fsprogs (at least mke2fs and
> e2fsck) on the target, because allways transfering the disk to a pc
> to create/check the fs seems to be a bit - aehem - inconvenient ;).
> But if I set
>
> CONFIG_USER_E2FSPROGS_E2FSCK_E2FSCK=y
> CONFIG_USER_E2FSPROGS_MISC_MKE2FS=y
>
> in config/.config I get:
>
> e2fsck.elf2flt: In function `init_resource_track':
> /home/hede/uClinux/uClinux-dist-20030305/user/e2fsprogs/e2fsck/util.c:216:
> undefined reference to `sbrk'
>
> I've seen in the archive that there was an issue with that, but I
> couldn't find the solution. May be I have to set something else too
> in the "User/Vendor Settings"? Or has it to do with uClibc, as the
> old thread in the archive seems to indicate?
>
> In Documentation/ColdFire-HOWTO I read that for this board it should
> work.
>
> Can anybody help me with that?

I have only ever compiled the e2fs tools against uC-libc.
That should work in the dist. And I have used them alot
on ColdFire platforms with uC-libc.

Off-course it would be nice if someone fixed them to work
with uClibc too :-)

Greg Ungerer  --  Chief Software Wizard        EMAIL:  gerg at snapgear.com
SnapGear Pty Ltd                               PHONE:    +61 7 3435 2888
Woolloongabba, QLD, 4102, Australia              WEB:   www.SnapGear.com