[uClinux-dev] 5272-based USB boot device

David Miller davidm at midstream.com
Wed Mar 19 13:11:01 EST 2003

I have an application where I am considering a ColdFire 5272 as a system
control processor.  It is going to have a big chunk of data Flash
(16-64MBytes) connected to it for FPGA loading.  We also have a USB
connection to our host CPU (dual Xeon running FreeBSD) and we would like to
be able to use a chunk of the Flash for a boot loader.

The questions I have are:
1. How hard is it going to be to implement a Bootable USB Device with a
5272?  Has anyone done it?
2. How much external RAM and Program Flash do I need?
3. Is there a better processor for the job?

Thanks!

--DLM

--
David L. Miller
DavidM at MidStream.com

777 108th Avenue, NE, Suite 1700
Bellevue, WA  98004
Phone:   425.201.2022 x257
Fax:   425.201.2023

NOTICE: This communication may contain confidential information and is
intended for the named recipients above. If you are not the intended
recipient, or believe that you have received this communication in error,
please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the
information. Please indicate to the sender that you have received this
communication in error and delete the copy and any attachments you received.