[uClinux-dev] Re: Mounting root fs as NFS

Stefano Costa stefano.costa at bluewind.it
Wed Mar 19 07:30:14 EST 2003

On 19 Mar 2003 at 5:14, Markus Pietrek wrote:

> From: Markus Pietrek <maillist at fsforth.de>
> To: uclinux-dev at uclinux.org
> Subject: Re: [uClinux-dev] Mounting root fs as NFS
> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:07:40 +0100
>
> Hi Stefano,
>
> > we're successfully using the latest uClinux distribution on a
> > Coldafire-based board. To speed up development, I was trying to
> > enable NFS-mounted root fs, and it seems to work. Now I need to
> > understand if creating a real rootfs directories tree can be
> > performed by the same Makefile that builds the Kernel+Apps system. As
>
> My toplevel Makefile is able to create a rootfs suitable for nfsroot and
> CRAMFS, so I think romfs should be possible, too.
>
> Process like this
>
> o build kernel
> o build apps
> o copy kernel, apps and configuration files to /exports/nfsroot like you want
> to have them placed
> o build the cramfs with /exports/nfsroot as base
> o configure the kernel to take either host:/exports/nfsroot or cramfs as root
> o export /exports/nfsroot for NFS
Mmmh, yes, what I meant was something a bit different perheaps. Now
building the kernel+apps with the top Makefile produces the "romfs"
directory, that's very similar to what should go inside
/exports/nfsroot (or /tftpboot/<IP> because we're using DHCP) but
it's meant to be a base for building the romfs image file to be
copied to FLASH. Is there a dufferent make option to directly build a
nfsroot directory tree? (not a big problem I know, just to understand
if anything has already been done).

> > anything similar already exist for directly building a ready-to-be-
> > mounted root fs (with /dev properly built etc.) or should I do this
> > manually?
>
> Try to use devfs, it makes life easier.

Yes I want to try devfs, unfortunatly I didn't have time up to know.
Do you think that after having enabled its support in the kernel
everything should work properly without much work (I mean, with the
standard device drivers for 5272 Ethernet, serial lines and only a
few others)?
bye-

--
:: Bluewind :: Stefano Costa