[uClinux-dev] Mounting root fs as NFS

Markus Pietrek maillist at fsforth.de
Wed Mar 19 03:07:40 EST 2003

Hi Stefano,

> we're successfully using the latest uClinux distribution on a
> Coldafire-based board. To speed up development, I was trying to
> enable NFS-mounted root fs, and it seems to work. Now I need to
> understand if creating a real rootfs directories tree can be
> performed by the same Makefile that builds the Kernel+Apps system. As

My toplevel Makefile is able to create a rootfs suitable for nfsroot and
CRAMFS, so I think romfs should be possible, too.

Process like this

o build kernel
o build apps
o copy kernel, apps and configuration files to /exports/nfsroot like you want
to have them placed
o build the cramfs with /exports/nfsroot as base
o configure the kernel to take either host:/exports/nfsroot or cramfs as root
o export /exports/nfsroot for NFS

> anything similar already exist for directly building a ready-to-be-
> mounted root fs (with /dev properly built etc.) or should I do this
> manually?

Try to use devfs, it makes life easier.

Bye,

--