[uClinux-dev] uclinux-elf-tools-20030314 released

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Wed Mar 19 02:53:09 EST 2003

Jivin Justin Clacherty lays it down ...
> On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 21:56, David McCullough wrote:
> > Is there any reason your need them ?
>
> Not really, I think I need to engage the brain before mailing to the
> list...I didn't think anything of the fact that STL was now in
> there...doh!
>
> Now off to find out why our rather small test app is compiling to a 480k
> binary...

Ok,  this is a disadvantage of STLport.  It appears to be much bigger than
the older gcc based libs :-(

A simple hello world used to be around 110K,  now it's closer to 400K.
I suspect on a descent sized app that the difference in size will be
less.

Of course,  with STLport being much easier to work with, it should be
easy to make it an m68k shared lib.  This would reduce the cost if you
have multiple C++ apps.

I would be very interested if you can figure out why it is much bigger.
I haven't had time to see if the size can be reduced by splitting up
files into multiple .o's or some other trick,  I suspect you are pulling
in most of STLport's libstdc++ with any app :-(