[uClinux-dev] uClinux kernel with ramdisk FS can work?

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Wed Mar 19 01:41:30 EST 2003

Hi,

lnys.tw wrote:
> I'm a newbie with unclinux. I can run uClinux kernel
> with romfs FS on Samsung 4510 eval board well. But
> now, I want to change romfs FS (root) to ramdisk FS
> and I fail. (like linux booting with compressed
> ramdisk on x86 platform).

Are you using an EXT2 filesystem on a ramdisk?

> I check the related
> discussions on this mail list before and can't find
> the answer to boot uClinux kernel with ramdisk FS
> correctly. So I want to ask if it is hard to boot
> uClinux with ramdisk FS (I mean need modify a lot of
> code or architecture)?

I have done it with uClinux on the ColdFire CPU's.
Wasn't all that difficult to get setup and working.

> Or I miss something (I disable
> blkmem driver and enable initial RAM disk (initrd)
> support and add fixup function codes to set up ramdisk
> start address and size in arch.c)?

That is right.

> my booting output as follows :
>
> Linux version 2.4.20-uc0 (lnys at miracle.avamax.com)
[snip]
> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> Freeing initrd memory: 3072K
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
> Freeing init memory: 44K
> Warning: unable to open an initial console.
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

This usually indicates that your devices nodes are
missing or not created correctly. How do you package
up your root ext2 filesystem?

Greg Ungerer  --  Chief Software Wizard        EMAIL:  gerg at snapgear.com
SnapGear Pty Ltd                               PHONE:    +61 7 3435 2888
Woolloongabba, QLD, 4102, Australia              WEB:   www.SnapGear.com