[uClinux-dev] Distribution 20030305 bigger Kernel Image

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Tue Mar 18 07:04:10 EST 2003

Jivin Massimo Cal? lays it down ...
> Hi David,
>
>     I'm compiling for MCF5272C3, I have added to the default options the
> following :
>
> Kernel    :
>                     Loadable Module Support
>                     Memory Tecnology Devices (MTD)
>                     Character Devices    --->    Standard/Generic Serial
> Support
>                     File System    --->    JFFS2
>
> User       :
>                     Flash Tools    --->    mtd-utils    :    eraseall
>                     Network Application    --->    portmap
>                     Busy Box    --->    dd , insmod, lsmod, rmmod, mount,
> umount
>
> If you confirm that the new kernel is bigger then the old one, I will
> eliminate some of the default options

It is definately bigger.  We have a 5272 based product that we are
keeping at 2.4.17 because it doesn't have enough RAM/ROM to take on
the later kernels.

If you have the two kernels handy you could check out their sizes using
m68k-elf-size and possible even 'm68k-elf-nm -v' and try and see where
the extra resources have gone.  You never know,  you might find
something bogus that can be cleaned up :-)