[uClinux-dev] uCdimm login

Phil Wilshire philwil at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 17 11:06:33 EST 2003

HI
The password may not be the problem here.

I modify the login.c file to print out the password.

Looking at the code extract make sure that
you can read /etc/passwd on the target system.

Here is an untested code extract to show you what the password should be.

        gotpwd = getpass("Password: ");
        realpwd = getrealpass(PATH_PASSWD);
        if (gotpwd && realpwd) {
            printf(" password is %s\n",crypt(gotpwd, realpwd));

Here is the error message.
I suspect that you are not able to read the passwd file.

char *getrealpass(char *pfile)
{
        static char     tmpline[128];
        FILE            *fp;
        char            *spass;
        int             len;

        if ((fp = fopen(pfile, "r")) == NULL) {
                fprintf(stderr, "ERROR: failed to open(%s), errno=%d \n",
                        pfile, errno);
                return((char *) NULL);
        }

regards
  Phil Wilshire

"D. Peter Siddons" wrote:

> Hi all,
>     I just downloaded the latest tools (20030314) and dist (20030305). I
> took the default configuration, except I chose the Arcturus uCdimm
> target. Everything built fine, and the system boots to a login: prompt.
> However, it rejects the standard root/uClinux login/password. The
> default setup uses uClibc. I remember that the crypt lib is different
> between uC-libc and uClibc, so I tried both of the supplied password in
> vendors/Arcturus/uCdimm. Neither responded. Any suggestions?
>
> BTW, the screen message says:
>
> uCdimm login: root
> Password:
> ERROR: failed to
>
> and then the login: prompt again.
>
> Pete.
>
> --
> D. Peter Siddons
> National Synchrotron Light Source, Bldg. 725D
> Brookhaven National Laboratory
> Upton
> New York 11973
> Email: siddons at bnl.gov

SDCS -- System Design & Consulting Services LLC, http://www.sysdcs.com
** Embedded Linux Training **  email me for details
630 Springhouse Sq., Leesburg VA 20175 t: 703 669 9766 f: 703 669 9768