[uClinux-dev] Help with Motorola 68vz328ads eval board

David E. Gelhar David.Gelhar at Dartmouth.EDU
Sun Mar 16 09:03:25 EST 2003

I've used a 68SZ328ADS board, which I suspect will be similar but with
a different CPU version (SZ instead of VZ).

To download code over the serial port, put the CPU into bootstrap mode
(on the SZ ADS board, switch S2-8 does this). In bootstrap mode, the
CPU accepts "b-record" format files, which are a simple text
address/contents format. The board probably came with an "init.b" file
that sets up the hardware (chip selects etc.).

For downloading, instead of the DOS program, I'm using a kermit script
"bbug" by Vladimir Gurevich (see
http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/archive/0116.html). It's meant for
the 68EZ328ADS board, so you may have to tweak baud rate settings for
your board.

The kernel build process generates an "image.bin" (kernel+romfs); you
can turn that into a b-record file to be downloaded to the board with a
simple perl script like this: (assuming your loader map is set up to
build a himem kernel to be loaded at romvec=0x01000000;
flash=0x01000400)

#!/usr/bin/perl

# Convert a raw binary file into b-record format for download
# default download address is 0x10000000
#

$offset = 0x01000000;

open IN, "-";

while(1) {
         $len = read(IN, $buf, 16);      # 16-byte lines
         last if ($len <= 0);
         printf "%08X%02X", $offset, $len;
         $offset += $len;
         for ($i = 0; $i < $len; ++$i) {
             printf "%02X", ord(substr($buf, $i, 1));
         }
         printf "\n";
}

The sequence of bbug commands goes something like:

init
load init.b
load image.b
start 01000400