[uClinux-dev] Help with Motorola 68vz328ads eval board

Georges Menie g.menie at wanadoo.fr
Sun Mar 16 05:44:30 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 02:46, Frank W. Miller wrote:

> Ok, I'm on my way.  I've got a toolchain (the latest m68k-elf) and the
> full source distribution, both of which I have installed and built
> successfully.
> I picked the ucdimm platform to build first since I think its probably the
> closest to what I've got on the 68VZ328ADS.  The problem now is,
> how do I boot the kernel on the board?  I've got a serial connection but
> I need some kind of program to load it onto the target.  Does anyone
> know where something like this exists?  I've have a DOS program called
> bbugv.exe but that won't run (at least I don't know how to make it run)
> under Linux.  Can anyone help me with booting this kernel?
>
> Thanks,
> FM

good, you pass the first ring ;-)
before uploading and running image.bin, check your
linux-x.x.x/System.map file, all the address there should be existing
RAM address on your board, if not, then modify the linker script
(xxx.ld) to locate everything in RAM.
IMHO, the easiest way is to choose the option to run the kernel from ROM
and to change the corresponding linker script (rom.ld probably) to map
everything in RAM (reserve the upper part of RAM like if it were ROM...)
for example, if you have 8MB SDRAM, set the 2 upper MB as 'rom' in the
linker script and the first 6MB as 'ram'. recompile everything.

the address to upload would be the beginning of the 'rom' section,
and the address to start the image would be specified by the symbol
_start (or _stext maybe) in the System.map file.

Another important point is board initialization, check the crt0xxx.S
file to see if it contains all the necessary steps to initialize your
board.

then you have to find a way to upload the generated image.bin file, can
you use xmodem ? I don't know bbugv, but I think some others do use
it...

what kernel did you choose 2.0 or 2.4 ?

Regards,
Georges