[uClinux-dev] Help with Motorola 68vz328ads eval board

Georges Menie g.menie at wanadoo.fr
Sat Mar 15 04:53:04 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-15 at 03:34, Frank W. Miller wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've been blessed with a Motorola 68VZ328ADS Eval Board that includes a
> monochrome 320x240 LCD with Touch Panel Interface.  I've done a bit of
> development with it using the Metrowerks tools during the eval period
> but I'd really prefer to do my development using Linux.  I was hoping I
> might find some guidance here.  This board is the eval system that
> mirrors most closely the Palm systems.  I believe it can run Palm OS if
> loaded correctly.  Anyway, I need help with aquiring the right gcc based
> development tools, a bootloader, and debugger if possible.

You will find at: http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/dist/
the gcc devlopment tool and the full source distribution of uClinux.
It contains a kernel 2.0.x environment with Palm support and a kernel
2.4.x environment with 3 different 68vz328 board support. I did not try
Palm support but the 68VZ628 is well supported. You might have to choose
the closest board environment and start modify the files to build and
run an image for your board.

Important directories are:

board specific build environment
uClinux-dist/vendors/*/*

kernel files (startup code and memory layout):
uClinux-dist/linux-2.0.x/arch/m68knommu/platform/* or
uClinux-dist/linux-2.4.x/arch/m68knommu/platform/68VZ328/*

k2.0 does not contains a vz328 directory but it variuos palm support
files. Look at the files in both kernel, decide which kernel you are
going to use, then start modify the files. When you will have a working
image, consider creating a new platform, there is a HOW-TO doc in
uClinux-dist/Documentation about adding a new platform.

Regards,
Georges