[uClinux-dev] Daemonize a process

Stuart MacDonald stuartm at connecttech.com
Thu Mar 13 10:26:25 EST 2003

From: "David McCullough" <davidm at snapgear.com>
> There are a couple of ways to achieve this:
> * have init start your daemon

Not general enough. I need to be able to do this from the command
line.

> * have your daemon exec itself with a special option to become a daemon.

The "special option" involves exactly the code I talk about in my
original post; the code that uses fork that doesn't work on uClinux.

> fork on uClinux is not possible.  It gives a short term impression of
> working, before your system dies horribly.  It cannot be fixed in any
> practical way and you can find all the reasons why in the uClinux-dev
> archives :-)

I'll have a look at the archives. I'd searched them for info on
daemonising, but not on fixing fork.

..Stu