[uClinux-dev] Daemonize a process

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Wed Mar 12 18:02:11 EST 2003

Jivin Stuart MacDonald lays it down ...
> The classic sequence of:
>
> fork();
> setsid();
> fork();
>
> doesn't work in uClinux because vfork blocks the parent until an _exit
> or execve().
>
> What I end up with is two D state processes (zombies) and the final
> child still parented by its real parent instead of init.
>
> I've checked a number of /user apps, but haven't found one that wants
> to do the same thing, so no example code to follow.

There are a couple of ways to achieve this:

* have init start your daemon

* have your daemon exec itself with a special option to become a daemon.

> Am I missing a simple solution, or is this just not possible until
> uClinux gets fork()? If so, what's required to get fork working? The
> comment in arch/m68knommu/kernel/process.c states that it almost
> works, but doesn't specify which bit is failing.

fork on uClinux is not possible.  It gives a short term impression of
working, before your system dies horribly.  It cannot be fixed in any
practical way and you can find all the reasons why in the uClinux-dev
archives :-)