[uClinux-dev] uClinux for Palm IIIc - Color Console support? (Please Read)

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Wed Mar 12 17:24:06 EST 2003

Jivin Michael F. Sharp lays it down ...
> David,
> Sounds like a good idea.... actually, I tried turning off all of the
> console options, ( Frame buffer and Pilot Cosole were grayed out...),
> even turned off MicroWindows and uClinux complained about a kernel panic
> then, do_unblank_screen.
>
> I see your point, though: Make uClinux work on the PDA, w/o video, only
> working through a serial port. That way we know the platform works....
>
> Any suggestions on how to make a "video-less" kernel for a PDA?

Turn off CONFIG_CONSOLE, CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER and CONFIG_PILOT_CONSOLE.

Turn on CONFIG_68328_SERIAL.

Find anything in crt0.S that messes with the video adaptor and #ifdef
it out (I don't know the video registers but they should be easy to
spot once you do).

It might be useful to do a practice run on Xcopilot and get rid of the
penguin and make sure the serial port gives you a shell.  Better still
you could modify the Xcopilot code to error out if you access the video
at all.