[uClinux-dev] Re: init_mem_alloc and PAGE_OFFSET

Miles Bader miles at lsi.nec.co.jp
Tue Mar 11 20:41:48 EST 2003

Bernard Leach <leachbj at bouncycastle.org> writes:
> It should point to the start of your RAM.  The memory initialisation
> should ensure that any required portions of your RAM that are in-use
> before the real memory allocator gets started are reserved.  On the ARM
> system I am using it reserves the entire kernel space during startup and
> then once the kernel has initialised it free's some of that up (the
> _init sections).

This is generally the way it's done, but I don't think there's any
reason that the kernel itself must be within that space, at least on a
uClinux system.  [I've occasionally built systems where I stick the
kernel in a wierd bit of RAM off to the side, with PAGE_OFFSET pointing
to the (later) start of a bigger RAM area.]

-Miles
--
A zen-buddhist walked into a pizza shop and
said, "Make me one with everything."