[uClinux-dev] init_mem_alloc and PAGE_OFFSET

Bernard Leach leachbj at bouncycastle.org
Tue Mar 11 04:18:17 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 07:57, John Williams wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> My port is based on the v850, so Miles you might be able to help here :)
>
> Basically, where should PAGE_OFFSET point in a uclinux system?

It should point to the start of your RAM.  The memory initialisation
should ensure that any required portions of your RAM that are in-use
before the real memory allocator gets started are reserved.  On the ARM
system I am using it reserves the entire kernel space during startup and
then once the kernel has initialised it free's some of that up (the
_init sections).

Things may be different on your platform but I'd be surprised if the
general principles were different.

As to your problem with the memory allocation stomping on the kernel
where exactly does that occur?

cheers,
bernard.