[uClinux-dev] Re: from the archives + questions about fec.c: Re: [uClinux-dev] coldfire fec.c ethernet driver

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Sat Mar 8 08:06:01 EST 2003

Hi Stuart,

Stuart MacDonald wrote:
> The M5272 user manual states that it's best to use the mii interrupt
> to ensure that the mii interface doesn't munge itself. Since the phy
> detection uses the interface, shouldn't the interrupt be enabled
> first? OTOH, even with it enabled I don't see any interrupts happening
> as a result of the phy detection, so I guess it's not necessary.

I have not seen any phy interrupts generated during detection.
And I have used a few different 5272 based boards with different
phys.

The real problem is if you don't have a real phy on the other side
(for example you have a switch/hub). Then there is no interrupt
line to tie too, and many board layoust don't pull it high if
not used. You very easily get spurious interrupts...

> I'm having problems getting the phy detection code to recognise our
> LXT972A. I've moved the interrupt and icrp references (we've got the
> mii interrupt on INT3 instead of INT2). I've checked that the mii
> commands are built properly. What seems to happen is that garbage is
> read from the phy. If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it.

Is this known working hardware, or a new board/design?

> Using 20020927, and tools 20020410. Searched the list archive, found
> nothing relevant, except the thread I'm replying to.

Get the latest fec.c (and fec.h) from cvs, cvs.uclinux.org.
Or it is also in the newst dist, uClinux-dist-20030305.

Greg Ungerer  --  Chief Software Wizard        EMAIL:  gerg at snapgear.com
SnapGear Pty Ltd                               PHONE:    +61 7 3435 2888
Woolloongabba, QLD, 4102, Australia              WEB:   www.SnapGear.com