[uClinux-dev] RAM only filesystem

Ryan Hulsker rhulsker at emergentsolutions.ca
Thu Mar 6 10:56:35 EST 2003

Greg,
	Thanks for your help, you pointed me in the right direction and I
managed to get it working.

> Look at the mess of code in drivers/block/blkmem.c that deal
> with this. It ain't pretty :-(

	Wow, you are not kidding.  Do you think there is any way to clean this
stuff up, or is this just one of those things that has to be hard coded
like that.  I'm just wondering if there might be a way to generalize
that setup a little more, and maybe use a command line argument to start
it off or something.

> >  I am cat-ing it onto the end
> > of my kernel image, but this puts it in RAM right where my BSS section
> > is and therefore it gets overwitten by my crt.S.
>
> This is a pretty common setup. With this setup normally you
> have code in your crt startup code that moves the ROMfs before
> setting the bss to 0. Look at any of the ColdFire crt0_ram.S
> files, they all do this. For example:
>
>    ~/linux-2.4.x/arch/m68knommu/platform/5272/Motorola/crt0_ram.S

	This really helped me out a lot.  All this time I have been seeing
these references to CAT_ROMARRAY and I could't quite put my finger on
what that meant, and then while I was looking at blkmem.c all of a
sudden it hit me....DOH!!!

Thanks again.

Ryan Hulsker