[uClinux-dev] Problems with beta uClinux-dist?

Heiko Degenhardt heiko.degenhardt at sentec-elektronik.de
Wed Mar 5 01:34:12 EST 2003

Hi David,

* On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 08:11:36PM +1000, David McCullough wrote:
> Jivin Heiko Degenhardt lays it down ...
> > But if I try to start it, the process stops after
> > "Freeing unused kernel memory: 24k freed (0xd0000 - 0xd5000)"
> > (there is no error message or something. It just "hangs" there).
> >
> > If I debug the start process with m68k-bdm-elf-gdb I see that it
> > somehow hangs in "schedule" (I didn't debug in detail, actually,
> > so that is just a "fist shot").
>
> This is right where is runs init.

ack.

> Turn on DEBUG in linux-2.4.x/fs/binfmt_flat.c so you can see when
> it runs various programs.

Ok, I'll do that.

> You should check that the init/console support is turned on in the
> user config.

I think it is, because I compile with the default settings for
the M5272C3. But, shure, I check that again.

> > Greg told me that he can compile and run images for the M5272C3
> > without any problems, so I think I may have an alignment
> > problem?
>
> Unlikely, but possible.  DEBUG in the flat loader will help to
> work out what is failing.

Ok.

> Greg tests and runs on all the Mot boards so I would be confident
> that it runs on his board ;-)

I'm shure he does!
My problem is: If I download the same dist, use the same toolchain,
compile with the same (default) values for the board, but get
different results, there is definitely a problem somewhere here.
So I wanted to ask some others with the M5272C3 to check if they
have the problem, too. If they don't have, I can be shure that
it is my working environment.

> > An indication for that might be the warning "process.c:50:
> > warning: alignment of `init_task_union' is greater than maximum
> > object file alignment. Using 16." in my errs file.
>
> This is normal and happens on all m68k builds to my knowledge.

Oh, ok. Thanks for that info!

> > So I want to ask if someone of you with an M5272C3 board could
> > test that dist, and see if there are any problems?  Could a
> > wrong alignment cause such behavior?
>
> Check the console setting and get back to us with the DEBUG from
> the flat loader and we'll see what we can find :-)

:)
Ok, thanks for the help, David! I'll try that out now, and be back
later.

Rgds.
Heiko.