[uClinux-dev] Problems with beta uClinux-dist?

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Tue Mar 4 05:11:36 EST 2003

Jivin Heiko Degenhardt lays it down ...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem with the current beta uClinux-dist.
> I test the dist with our 5272 based board, and/or with a M5272C3
> board. I just do a "make menuconfig" and leave everything at the
> default values. Then I do a "make dep;make 2>&1 |tee errs".
> Everything compiles fine. I can download the image.
> But if I try to start it, the process stops after
> "Freeing unused kernel memory: 24k freed (0xd0000 - 0xd5000)"
> (there is no error message or something. It just "hangs" there).
>
> I have the following environment:
> Dist:
> http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/dist/uClinux-dist-20030226.tar.gz
> Toolchain:
> http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/m68k-elf-tools/m68k-elf-tools-20020410.tar.gz
> Host:
> Debian Woody.
>
> If I debug the start process with m68k-bdm-elf-gdb I see that it
> somehow hangs in "schedule" (I didn't debug in detail, actually,
> so that is just a "fist shot").

This is right where is runs init.  Turn on DEBUG in
linux-2.4.x/fs/binfmt_flat.c so you can see when it runs
various programs.

You should check that the init/console support is turned on in the user
config.

> Greg told me that he can compile and run images for the M5272C3
> without any problems, so I think I may have an alignment problem?

Unlikely,  but possible.  DEBUG in the flat loader will help to work out
what is failing.  Greg tests and runs on all the Mot boards so I would
be confident that it runs on his board ;-)

> An indication for that might be the warning
> "process.c:50: warning: alignment of `init_task_union' is greater
> than maximum object file alignment. Using 16."
> in my errs file.

This is normal and happens on all m68k builds to my knowledge.

> So I want to ask if someone of you with an M5272C3 board could test
> that dist, and see if there are any problems?
> Could a wrong alignment cause such behavior?

Check the console setting and get back to us with the DEBUG from the
flat loader and we'll see what we can find :-)