[uClinux-dev] Boot from Rom Patch + Memory problems

Murat Loo bluetoothloo at lycos.com
Tue Mar 4 04:19:57 EST 2003

Hi,

I've patched uClinux with the boot from rom patch. However when I've compiled the kernel I've get the following error:
m68k-elf-objcopy -O binary /uClinux-dist/linux-2.4.x/linux \
  /uClinux-dist/images/linux.bin
BFD: Warning: Writing section `.text' to huge (ie negative) file offset 0xffe200
00.
m68k-elf-objcopy: /uClinux-dist/images/linux.bin: File truncated

What is going wrong here?

Another problem is with the memory alloction. For example lets say that I've run a simple program (no memory leaks in the program i.e a hello world program) that takes 30KB memory. when the program terminates it is expected to return the 30KB memory back. However only a small amount of memory or nothing is returned. The allocated memory is never freed so the system runs out of memory quickly and kernel panics. How can we expilictly call the garbage collector? Or what can we do so that the memory is returned correctly?