[uClinux-dev] Problems with beta uClinux-dist?

Heiko Degenhardt heiko.degenhardt at sentec-elektronik.de
Tue Mar 4 03:20:09 EST 2003

Hi all,

I have a problem with the current beta uClinux-dist.
I test the dist with our 5272 based board, and/or with a M5272C3
board. I just do a "make menuconfig" and leave everything at the
default values. Then I do a "make dep;make 2>&1 |tee errs".
Everything compiles fine. I can download the image.
But if I try to start it, the process stops after
"Freeing unused kernel memory: 24k freed (0xd0000 - 0xd5000)"
(there is no error message or something. It just "hangs" there).

I have the following environment:
Dist:
http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/dist/uClinux-dist-20030226.tar.gz
Toolchain:
http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/m68k-elf-tools/m68k-elf-tools-20020410.tar.gz
Host:
Debian Woody.

If I debug the start process with m68k-bdm-elf-gdb I see that it
somehow hangs in "schedule" (I didn't debug in detail, actually,
so that is just a "fist shot").

Greg told me that he can compile and run images for the M5272C3
without any problems, so I think I may have an alignment problem?
An indication for that might be the warning
"process.c:50: warning: alignment of `init_task_union' is greater
than maximum object file alignment. Using 16."
in my errs file.
So I want to ask if someone of you with an M5272C3 board could test
that dist, and see if there are any problems?
Could a wrong alignment cause such behavior?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Rgds.
Heiko.