[uClinux-dev] Rt-Control - uCsimm first steps

Phil Wilshire philwil at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 16 07:14:41 EDT 2002

Hi Rajendra,
Congrats on getting a uCsimm.

We'll get you past this stage and I hope you will have as much fun with
it
everyone else.
You have to use this on a Linux system.
The cdrom is quite old now so there are some minor problems
when installing on later systems.
I use RH 7.2 as an example here for the host system.

mount the cd

mount /mnt/cdrom

On the CD there should be a directory

ls /mnt/cdrom/RPMS/libc6

There will be a file called "Makefile" in that directory.

If you are working with a RedHat distribution
then you will need to remove the genromfs that came with the
distribution

as root type

rpm -e genromfs

then type the following

cd /mnt/cdrom/ROMS/libc6

make

you will see the following output

rpm -i m68k-coff-binutils-2.9.1-1.i386.rpm
rpm -i m68k-coff-gcc-2.7.2.3-1.i386.rpm
rpm -i m68k-pic-coff-binutils-2.9.1-1.i386.rpm
rpm -i m68k-pic-coff-gcc-2.7.2.3-1.i386.rpm
rpm -i uC-libc-0.9.1-1.i386.rpm
rpm -i uC-libm-0.9.1-1.i386.rpm
rpm -i uClinux-2.0.38.1pre5-2.i386.rpm
rpm -i uC-src-0.9.2-2.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
       libc.so.5 is needed by uC-src-0.9.2-2

We have to ignore this error
so type

rpm -i --nodeps uC-src-0.9.2-2.i386.rpm
rpm -i genromfs-0.3-1.i386.rpm
rpm -i romdisk-0.9.1-1.i386.rpm

The development environment has now been installed

su to a normal user

su - train

make a working directory and move to it

mkdir work
cd work

type the buildenv command

buildenv

type make

make

The system will then start to build an image for you.

To download that image you will need to use the minicom terminal
emulator
set the baud rate to 9600,8,N,1 and connect a serial cable (not a NULL
modem)
cable to the uCsimm and the development computer.
You must turn HW flow control OFF and select /dev/ttyS0 as the serial
device
try minicom -s ( as root) and change "serial port setup"
once the serial port is set up use the
"Save as dfl" option
Then exit minicom and re run it (as root ) with the -o option
minicom -o
this stops it trying to set the uCsimm up as a modem

Now when you type return you should see a

B$

prompt

If you type

B$ go

You should see the uCsimm boot into uClinux

If you want to download your new image

press the reset and get back to the bootloader prompt

set the system to work in fast mode

B$ fast

now use CTL-A P to set minicom up for 115200 baud
once this is done you should see the B$ prompt again.

Now I set up the file to send in minicom even though the uCsimm is not
going to receive the file yet. I do this to save the file spec in
minicom's memory.

type CTL-A S to bring up the "send file" menu on Minicom
select "xmodem" and press return
press return again and type in your new image

/home/train/work/image.bin

The xmodem upload screen will then display the file download status
screen

You press CTL-C to quit this

Now give the xmodem receive command to the uCsimm

B$ rx

type CTL-A S and select xmodem press, return and your file should be in
the minicom window. Press return again and you should start downloading.

When this finishes you should see the B$ prompt again.
At this time program the new image into the uCsimm.

B$ program

When this is done (it takes a few seconds)

you can select "go" but do not be alarmed if the system seems to hang

B$ go

The uCsimm has reset the baud rate to 9600 so use
CTL-A P to reset the minicom baud rate back to 9600

Now your new image is booting.

It may hang trying to detect the ethernet cable so make sure you have
one
plugged in.
Then it will pause for a while trying to mount
192.168.1.11:/home/jeff/kit

you will have to change the file /home/train/work/romdisk/etc/rc on your
development system to
point to a different system and directory or just comment out that line
by
placing a # at the beginning of the line.

Now after this you are into uClinux world.
Scan the mailing lists and use google to get up to speed with the rest
of the system.

Good luck
  Phil Wilshire

I hope this gets you going...

--
SDCS -- System Design & Consulting Services LLC, http://www.sysdcs.com
**uClinux Training in Las Vegas Aug 28-30 2002,