[uClinux-dev] newbie problems using uCsimm´s eth0

Matthias Schoeldgen uclinux at schoeldgen.de
Mon Apr 15 17:13:04 EDT 2002

Sergio Massami Sakai wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I´m trying to use the ethernet port of my uCsimm board but it´s not working.
> When I try to "ping" my PC host I receive a "Network is unreachable" message.
>
> I´m using the correct IP addresses for my LAN, when I call "ifattach".
> The ethernet cable is OK too.
>
> I´m not sure if the "ifattach" command is working fine.
> When I call "ifattach" (using the same syntax of the /etc/rc example) for the first time I receive:
> "usage: ifattach --addr ..." (wrong sintax?)
> When I call it, using the same arguments, for the second time I receive:
> "eth0: Setting MAC address to  xx xx xx xx xx xx.
> eth0: Attempting TP
> eth0: using 10Base-T (RJ-45)
> Warning: netmask doesn't match route address
> SIOCADDRT=-1: 22
> SIOCADDRT=-1: 22"
>
> Does anyone have some idea about what is going wrong?
>
>         Sakai
> This message resent by the uclinux-dev at uclinux.org list server http://www.uClinux.org/
Hi Sakai!
This is a valid rc from my ucsimm, running on uClinux 2.4.17.
--snip
hostname ucsimm
/bin/expand /etc/ramfs.img /dev/ram0
mount -t proc proc /proc
mount -t ext2 /dev/ram0 /var
mkdir /var/tmp
mkdir /var/log
mkdir /var/run
mkdir /var/lock
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 lo
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.102 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255
route add 192.168.1.102 eth0
route add default gw 192.168.1.1
portmap &
cat /etc/motd
cat /etc/version
--snip

the portmap is only if you need nfs, and can be omitted otherwise. Make
sure to use the CS89x0 ethernet driver with the "Hardware byte swap"
feature enabled when configuring the kernel. I remember things being a
bit different (not much) in the 2.0.38 kernel, but now i switched
completely to the 2.4.17 kernel ...

Good luck
matthias