[uClinux-dev] Ramdisk, romfs, etc..

mathias.fritzson at mecel.se mathias.fritzson at mecel.se
Thu Apr 4 04:34:52 EST 2002

Hi

Mounting a filesystem in ram isn't too easy if you are a newbie like me..
I've tried a couple of things but how am I supposed to do?

Setup: All in ram exept the bootloader, we are loading everything into
memory though a BDM for now.

I'd like to see a working prompt soon =) this is why I do as I do..

The final working product will load the kernel from an memorymapped compact
flash card (Bootloader working) running (for now) a  FAT filesytem. We will
also try to mount our rootfilesystem from here..

But to reach a  prompt soon (there is a new micrcontroller port
(68336-'376) and new board support involved so we'd like to verify that the
port is working fast..) we decided to create a romfs and put it in ram to
get it all up and running. What do we need to succed with this? What we've
dome more exactly is to compile with romfs support and ramdisk support (do
we need a ramdisk ??).

Latest compile rendered this output (some homemade debug outputs...)

snip..
MC68332 serial driver version 1.00
ttyS0 is a builtin MC68332 UART
DEBUG: after chr_dev_init
Ramdisk driver initialized : 16 ramdisks of 4096K size
DEBUG: inside blkmem_init, sizeof(arena): 26, sizeof(struct arena_t): 26, arena[
0].address: 8524a0, arenas: 1
Blkmem copyright 1998,1999 D. Jeff Dionne
Blkmem copyright 1998 Kenneth Albanowski
Blkmem 1 disk images:
0: 8524A0-86289F (RO)
DEBUG: identify_ramdisk_image, fp->f_inode: 8fbe82, fp: 8fbd4a, buf: 875414 , si
ze: 200
RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid ramdisk image starting at 0.
VFS: Mounted root (romfs filesystem).
DEBUG: inside init (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD)
Unable to open an initial console.
DEBUG: trying to run init
DEBUG: do_rc
Failed to free page
Failed to free page
Failed to free page
snip...

We've included busybox and would like to use it as the shell.. Any special procedures involved to use busybox??

Any help is appreciated

TIA

/Mathias