[uClinux-dev] agetty/login problems

John D. Charlton j.d.charlton at ieee.org
Fri Nov 30 18:18:08 EST 2001

On Friday 30 November 2001 14:00, you wrote:
> I'm trying to get login to work on my 5272C3 with release 2.0.38.1pre7.
> I've put the following line into /etc/inittab on the target:
>
> ttyS0:vt100:/bin/agetty -l /bin/login ttyS0 19200
> When I boot the target, the normal kernel init. stuff is displayed,
> including the banner logo, then the command prompt appears.  If I do
> nothing, the login prompt appears after about 3 seconds.  However, if I try
> to type anything, nothing appears in the target window and the target
> appears to "lock up".  If, however, during those 3 seconds before the login
> prompt appears I type a valid command (e.g., "ls"), then when the login
> prompt appears I AM able to enter a login user and password.  I have NOT
> been able to successfully log in yet (I am using root/uClinux as user/pwd).
> So when it prompts me to try to log in again, it always locks up.

I had this problem with the 2.4.x kernel build for the uCdimm platform.  I
removed the agetty from the inittab and it boots up with a console shell with
no login.  I have not gotten around to fixing it to do a login yet.  I just
tried:
/bin/agetty 19200 ttyS0

after getting the shell prompt as suggested by someone else and it lets me
login as root/uClinux with no problem.  When I had the agetty in the inittab
file, it hung up the console, but I could telnet to the ucDimm and login as
root/uClinux.

Hope this helps.

--John