[uClinux-dev] agetty/login problems

Paul Carpenter paul.carpenter at eng.nciaccess.com
Fri Nov 30 14:00:32 EST 2001

I'm trying to get login to work on my 5272C3 with release 2.0.38.1pre7.
I've put the following line into /etc/inittab on the target:

ttyS0:vt100:/bin/agetty -l /bin/login ttyS0 19200
When I boot the target, the normal kernel init. stuff is displayed,
including the banner logo, then the command prompt appears.  If I do
nothing, the login prompt appears after about 3 seconds.  However, if I try
to type anything, nothing appears in the target window and the target
appears to "lock up".  If, however, during those 3 seconds before the login
prompt appears I type a valid command (e.g., "ls"), then when the login
prompt appears I AM able to enter a login user and password.  I have NOT
been able to successfully log in yet (I am using root/uClinux as user/pwd).
So when it prompts me to try to log in again, it always locks up.

Three questions surface:
1. Why the delay from the banner logo/command prompt display until the login
prompt appears?  Actually, shouldn't the login prompt come up BEFORE the
command shell prompt?  Otherwise, we have a brief window of security
vulnerability.

2. Why can't I log in successfully?  Is "root/uClinux" not correct?  I
thought I read awhile back at uClinux.org (in the FAQ) that the password in
uClinux.  Looked in login.c and passwd.c and couldn't pinpoint a "default"
password.

3. Why does the login input "freeze up" under certain predictable
conditions?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Paul Carpenter (Firmware Engineer)
Northern Computers, Inc.