[uClinux-dev] Question regarding ucLinux update for ucGardener/simm (fwd)

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Wed Nov 28 18:00:45 EST 2001

Jivin Tom Walsh lays it down ...
> David McCullough wrote:
> >
> > Jivin Per Winkvist lays it down ...
> > [...]
> > > When I did the make menuconfig "uc-libc" was predefined. I believe uclibc
> > > a much better alternative since I had "LIBC:PRINTF" problems with the
> > > former. When I chose uclibc I got a several compilation errors... Am I
> > > missing something ?
> >
> > No,  the tree doesn't get a lot of uClibc use on the m68k processors,
> > the "LIBC:PRINTF" error you see is because uC-libc doesn't have floating
> > point compiled in.  If you want to use floating point,  link in -lm
> > something like:
> >
> >         m68k-elf-gcc -m68000 -Wl,-elf2flt -o c c.c -lm -lc
> >
> > > Can I set the CONSOLE_BAUD_RATE to 115000 in config.arch to get snappier
> > > serial terminal ? Why is it 9600 by default ?
> >
> > The uCsimm target doesn't honour the CONSOLE_BAUD_RATE option in
> > config.arch,  you will need to hack the serial driver or the config/setup
> > code for the uCsimm to change this.
> >
> > Someone here may know a better way or be able to tell you exactly how to do
> > it,
> >

> David,
>
> Can't we add that as a CONFIG_BUAD_XXXXX option into the config menus?
> Or, are we going to create problems for ourselves in maintaining this
> special code?

It would be possible,  although it still requires platform specific code to
make it work.  Normally I would use boot args to the kernel to set
my baud rate,  but not all platforms support that either.  I think under
2.4 the coldfire and 68X328 platforms can do the baud rate setting frm the
boot args.  Under 2.0 I think the only platform that supports it is
coldfire.

A generic solution for all m68knommu platforms would make sense if it can
be done in a nice way ;-)

davidm at snapgear.com  Fx: +61 7 3891 3630  825 Stanley St., W'gabba QLD 4102, Oz