[uClinux-dev] BDM Init Error messages

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Tue Nov 27 20:48:34 EST 2001

Hi Tony,

twebster at daksoft.com wrote:
> My first thought after seeing the lights blinking told me that the machine
> didn't have an IP address.  My other boxes pick up an address with DHCP but
> this one appears not to.  I put a crossover in between my pc and the
> snapgear and gave my pc 192.168.0.2 but I still can't get to the SnapGear.
> How can I get into the SnapGear to set the IP address?  The CD does not
> detect the unit on the network?
>
> How can I get into the machine?
> Is there a way to turn the console on from the BDB cable, then I can get
> into the box with Minicom?

If all else fails then the thing to do is hard enable the console.
You need to change the code to do this.

In ~/linux/arch/m68knommu/platform/5307/config.c in function

    void config_BSP(char *commandp, int size)
    {
    #ifdef CONFIG_FLASH_SNAPGEAR
        /* Copy command line from FLASH to local buffer... */
        memcpy(commandp, (char *) 0xf0004000, size);
        commandp[size-1] = 0;
    #else
        memset(commandp, 0, size);
    #endif /* CONFIG_FLASH_SNAPGEAR */

Comment out the CONFIG_FLASH_SNAPGEAR code, so that only the
memset() is run. This will force an empty command line, which
will default to having the console enabled (later in the
console setup code).

Compile and load this and you should get a console
on the first COM port.

Greg Ungerer  --  Chief Software Wizard        EMAIL:  gerg at snapgear.com