[uClinux-dev] Making a _real_ release of uClibc

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Fri Nov 23 19:35:49 EST 2001

On Sat Nov 24, 2001 at 12:15:25AM -0000, D. Jeff Dionne wrote:

> Well, let's take a look at what this new math lib is first.  If it's
the
> Sun libm, that's the one I initially rejected for uC-libc...

It is a sun libm derivitive (taken from MacOs X), with glibc
headers pasted on.   I threw out the cephes based libm I had
been using because it was 1) huge and 2) had serious endianness
problems on ARM and 3) was slow.

By default with the new libm I only build the C89 stuff, which is
about 24k.  C99 support adds another 35+k.

So what was your concern with the sun libm?  Are those concerns
still applicable?

> > It would be great if everyone could give the latest version a try
> > so we can be sure that everyone is taken care of.
>
> I'd like to take a look at the size of the objects before we make this
> a "uniersal" release, and we'll need it to work with all the common tool
> chains.  Do you have m68k and ARM platforms to test with or so I need to
> send one of each?
>
> All that having been said, I'd make another .9x release, look at these issues
> and then call it 1.0 sometime RSN.

I know I am still not at all happy with regex (which is huge).
I think most everything else is reasonably sane,

 -Erik