[uClinux-dev] gdb problem form m68k-coff platform

Frederic Gobry frederic.gobry at smartdata.ch
Fri Nov 23 05:15:24 EST 2001

Hi,

I'd like to use gdb to check the location of failures in some
excutables built with m68k-pic-coff-gcc. I don't need to run the
actual program with gdbserver, as I got a nice kernel trace of the
problem.

So I thought compiling gdb-4.18 with --target=m68k-unknown-coff would
provide me with a working tool. Unfortunately, I get the following
nice message:

> I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that.  Symbol format `coff-m68k' unknown.

After investigating, it seems gdb is not built to read coff files in
spite of the target value. Forcing the initialization of the coff
format causes gdb to crash when it opens the symbol table.

Is this a known problem ? Am I supposed to use the full gdb/gdbserver
stuff ?

Frédéric

--
Frédéric Gobry    SMARTDATA