[uClinux-dev] All things uClinux ... WWW/CVS/ etc ...

Erwin Authried eauth at softsys.co.at
Mon Nov 19 12:40:20 EST 2001

Tom Walsh[SMTP:tom at cyberiansoftware.com] wrote:
> mdurrant at uclinux.org wrote:
> >
> > Everyone appreciates the efforts of all the participants of
> > this list.  I have been planing to overhaul the look of all the
> > uClinux.org machines for months.  So I am sorry that things are
> > looking a bit tired.  For those who have recommendations please
> > forward them to me or to the list.   As for content (FAQs, DOCs,
> > and and text content issues) please forwad them to me
> > mdurrant at uclinux.org quickly as I am going to reserve some time
> > to update things and I will make a first cut over the next two
> > weeks.   Perhaps Tom Walsh can offer me some advise off line.
> > I think I have his phone number somewhere.  If not can you email
> > me your number again.
> >

> IMO, uClinux.org has missed its' window of opportunity.  Erwin's
> http://uclinux.home.at site has taken over the role that uClinux.org has
> not met.  All we need right now is to implement a searchable archive of
> the mailing list and then uClinux.org will only be a place for newbies
> to sign up for the mailing list, from then, they would (and are)
> directed to Erwin's site to get information that they need.
>
> Erwin promotes other sites that have information about uClinux, not only
> the software, but hardware projects as well.  With the work that he has
> done over the past year, I really wouldn't encourage you to do anything
> more with uClinux.org but to prominantly place a link to Erwin's site..
> Maybe even redirect the DNS zone for uClinux.{com,org} to his IP?
>
> Sorry, but that is how I see it.

The goals of http://www.uclinux.org/ and http://uclinux.home.at/ are
quite different. My site is just a directory that provides the links to useful
sites carrying information about uClinux or Embedded System hard-
and software that may somehow be useful for uClinux developers.
www.uclinux.org mainly has material about uClinux and packages for download,
without links to other useful sites. Perhaps there should be more links from
uClinux related sites to my directory. I try to keep the directory rather up to date, but
with more links the effort increases to correct dead links and remove non-existent
ones. BTW, I have just placed two links for searchable archives of the uCsimm
and the uClinux list into the directory. I have kindly requested the guys who maintain
MARC to include the uclinux-dev list too. I got a positive reply almost immediately,
but it seems that they are either too busy, or their subscription to the uclinux-dev list
didn't get through.

-Erwin