[uClinux-dev] freshman

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Sun Nov 18 07:11:34 EST 2001

On Sun Nov 18, 2001 at 02:25:39AM -0500, Tom Walsh wrote:
> 263linux wrote:
> >
> > hi , Davidm  and other friends
> >
> > Thank you very much .
> >
> > I have heard that linux-2.4.14 can remove the vm easily by configuring ...
> > I am not familiar with this source code , I have download the source code package.
> > I will study the package these day.
> >

> I believe that you are referring to the new VMM code that Linus Torvalds
> will be incorporating into the linux versions of his from now on, vs.
> the present (older) VMM code that Alan Cox will continue to use /

Actually, Alan has decided that the Linus/Andrea VM is better.
And Alan will not be the maintainer of 2.4.x it turns out that
Marcelo Tosatti will take on that role, not Alan.

    http://linuxpr.com/releases/4305.html

Regardless, neither the new VM nor the old have all that much
relevance to uClinux...

> maintain in his linux releases.  I sincerely doubt that you will find
> that the stock 2.4.14 kernel will be "removing" the VMM code, probably
> just (may) give you a choice of which VMM you want to use.

Changing out a VM is a very intrusive process.  I am certain you will
not even be given a configure choice,

 -Erik