[uClinux-dev] SSH Key Generation at Login

twebster at daksoft.com twebster at daksoft.com
Fri Nov 16 15:25:39 EST 2001

SSH is now working on several of my SnapGear Pros but everytime I SSH into
one the syslog reports the following

sshd: Generating 768 bit RSA key.
sshd: RSA key generation complete

Everytime I log in using SSH the key is generated.  Is this normal?  I have
the following files in my /etc/config directory

ssh_config
ssh_host_dsa_key
ssh_host_dsa_key.pu
ssh_host_key
ssh_host_key.pub
ssh_host_rsa_key
ssh_host_rsa_key.pub
sshd_config    -- below is my sshd_config

Questions
     1.  Do I need the line in sshd_config that points to my host key?
     2.  Should a key be generated every time I log on?

Tony Webster

sshd_config
# This is ssh server systemwide configuration file.

Port 22
#Protocol 2,1
ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
#ListenAddress ::
HostKey /etc/config/ssh_host_key
ServerKeyBits 768
LoginGraceTime 600
KeyRegenerationInterval 3600
PermitRootLogin yes
#
# Don't read ~/.rhosts and ~/.shosts files
IgnoreRhosts yes
# Uncomment if you don't trust ~/.ssh/known_hosts for
RhostsRSAAuthentication
#IgnoreUserKnownHosts yes
StrictModes yes
X11Forwarding no
X11DisplayOffset 10
PrintMotd yes
KeepAlive yes

# Logging
SyslogFacility AUTH
LogLevel INFO
#obsoletes QuietMode and FascistLogging

RhostsAuthentication no
#
# For this to work you will also need host keys in /etc/ssh_known_hosts
RhostsRSAAuthentication no
#
RSAAuthentication yes

# To disable tunneled clear text passwords, change to no here!
PasswordAuthentication yes
PermitEmptyPasswords no
# Uncomment to disable s/key passwords
#SkeyAuthentication no

# To change Kerberos options
#KerberosAuthentication no
#KerberosOrLocalPasswd yes
#AFSTokenPassing no
#KerberosTicketCleanup no

# Kerberos TGT Passing does only work with the AFS kaserver
#KerberosTgtPassing yes

CheckMail no
UseLogin no

#Subsystem      sftp    /usr/local/sbin/sftpd