[uClinux-dev] /dev directory entry build

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Thu Nov 15 23:56:13 EST 2001

Hi John,

John Jeffers wrote:
> According to : http://home.at/uldp/uclinux_doc_5.html#SEC34
>
> Dave says using the Coldfire 20010622 distribution the MAJOR.MINOR numbers
> are built into the /dev directory making /dev/xyz using the following:
>
> "This puts all the code in place, but the application will need to call the
> open() function with a device name. This is done by adding an entry in
> romfs_cvs.mk. In our case, we wanted to give this device the name /dev/xyz,
> so we added an entry in the device list as '/dev/xyz,c,120,0'. We added
> this just before the entry for ppp and were sure to add the backslash (\)
> for line continuation."
>
> I cannot find this anywhere in the distro (I could be blind) and frankly
> need to know the method  for generating a entry into /dev to complete a driver.

Frankly, this has changed :-)

The devices are now created in the vendors Makefiles.
So you need to look in ~/vendors/<VENDOR>/<BOARD>/Makefile

A simple text grep of the tree on a commmon device node
name would have quickly picked this up, eg:

   find . -type f | xargs grep ttyp1

Greg Ungerer  --  Chief Software Wizard        EMAIL:  gerg at snapgear.com
SnapGear                                       PHONE:    +61 7 3435 2888
Woolloongabba, QLD, 4102, Australia              WEB:   www.snapgear.com