[uClinux-dev] Increased stack usage on uClinux 2.4.x compared to uClinux 2.0.38

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Thu Nov 15 19:00:33 EST 2001

Jivin Thuys, Michiel lays it down ...
> Hi all,
>
> We have a number of apps running on an ARM9 uClinux 2.0.38 platform and
> are now porting these to uClinux 2.4.10. Some applications, e.g. boa,
> need a much larger stack on 2.4.10 as compared to 2.0.38. For boa, we
> had to increase the stack from 8k to 32k. We use the same toolchain for
> both kernel versions.
>
> Has anyone experienced the same thing? If so, what is causing this?

The problem is in the C library using values from the kernel,  that,  under
2.4 are much larger.  I can't remember which defines cause the problems,
whatever changes were needed for uC-libc are in the latest
uClinux-distribution tarball.  Look at PATH_MAX, NR_OPEN, OPEN_MAX and
anything liker that ;-)

After the fixes we didn't have to up the stack size on any app under 2.4
(which is the way it should be :-)

davidm at snapgear.com  Fx: +61 7 3891 3630  825 Stanley St., W'gabba QLD 4102, Oz