[uClinux-dev] 2.4.x questions

Travis Griggs tgriggs at keyww.com
Wed Nov 14 20:31:16 EST 2001

Good news!

Since we were able to get colilo working with the help from many from
this group; we've got the nod to actually use it in our products. We
dl'd the modified colilo we submitted a week or so ago, and found a
couple of rough left overs; we'll submit the same cleaned up tomorrow.

We also dl'd the new 2.4 based uClinux and begin putting together
development environments and instructions for colleagues. It looks like
it has a LOT more options. We had a number of questions though. Most of
them had to do with options we encountered as we walked thru make xconfig.

1) There's this section at the bottom of the "Processor type and
features" menu. We set the FLASH type to AMD. But we left the RAM/FLASH
size/bit width set as AUTO. We actually know what the size of each is...
but we wondered what the AUTO option does?

2) In the same menu, there is an option for the Kernel to execute from
HIMEM. What is this? Is it the 4K on chip ram found in the 5272? Even
more fundamentally, does (and how) uClinux use the on chip ram? Mybe for
the stack?

3) Another menu is the MTD one. If I've got the M5272C3 board, are any
of these things going to be useful to me? It seemed like this might give
me run time control over the flash ram, but I'm kind of new to this
flash stuff.

4) In the Application Configuration>>Core Applications menu, we enabled
netflash and recover for grins. We found that when we then tried to
'make', it could build neither of these. Cursorily it seemed that it
couldn't find zlib.h. Is this a known problem?

5) Finally, we had built a little network client/server pair which timed
how long it took to transmit 4MB of image data over the ethernet. With
the older (2.0 based version) and a 2.2 kernel for the host box, we were
seeing transmit times of ~1.9 seconds. One of the reasons we got excited
about the 2.4 based uClinux, is we thought this time might improve a
little. It did the opposite. The host box is running 2.4.(12 I think).
With the 2.4 based uClinux, our xmit times go up to ~2.4 seconds. Is
there a known reason for this? A setting we can flick somewhere which
will improve performance at least back to the ~1.9?

TIA

--
Travis Griggs
Member: 3rd Boolean State Software Collective