[uClinux-dev] Adding new board support in latest snapshot

Adam Kropelin Adam.Kropelin at netlinkaccess.com
Tue Nov 13 15:40:16 EST 2001

Hi,

I just picked up the latest snapshot and am working on migrating my patches
for a custom board from pre7 to the new release. I'm having a bit of trouble
figuring out the new configuration mechanism.

I need to add a new vendor and board under an existing arch and platform
(m68knommu/68360). I have added a vendors/VendorName/BoardName directory as
a copy of a similar one. I've lightly customized the config.arch file by
making sure the ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE settings are correct and left the
auto-generated ones alone. I can do a top-level make config and chose my new
vendor/board combo and get a .config file which shows an appropriate
CONFIG_DEFAULTS_XXX define. However, lower-level kernel configuration fails
on account of not knowing the ARCH, PLATFORM, and BOARD definitions.

How do CONFIG_DEFAULTS_XXX definitions at the top level get tied to ARCH,
PLATFORM, and BOARD definitions in the 2.0.x tree? Or don't they? In the old
system you just hard-coded your settings into the appropriate config.in and
Board.mk files. I assume there must now be a way that choosing a vendor and
board at the top level sets things up at lower levels. Can anyone shed some
light on this for me?

Thanks!

--
Adam Kropelin