[uClinux-dev] new uClinux distribution snapshot

Bernhard Kuhn bkuhn at lineo.com
Mon Nov 12 20:06:08 EST 2001

First of all, thanks to David and Greg for their efforts
on the new distribution. Seems to be a realy great work!
(although my first steps with the new distro compiled
for tarifa resulted in a kernel crash :-)

anywa,

Tom Walsh wrote:

> uClibc conforms to the LGPL (lesser-GPL) License and can be
> used to produce proprietary (binary only distro) apps, where the uC-libc
> is GPL (you must distro source).

That's correct, but you can still keep your application code
proprietary (if you think that's necessary) when
having the toolchain compiled with uClibc (i mean the LGPLed
version), because then your own applications (build outside
the distribution) will be staticaly linked with the newer lib,
regardless of what you have selected during the distro-config.

i.e. the RPMs i have generated some times ago are done that way
and iirc, the toolchain-tarball from David/Greg is also compiled
against uClibc (again, meaning the newer lib)

best regards

Bernhard

--
Bernhard Kuhn, Software Engineer, Lineo Inc. (Where Open Meets Smart)