[uClinux-dev] Motorola M-Core port of ucLinux

Bruce Paterson bruce at tele-ip.com
Sun Nov 11 18:45:01 EST 2001

Tom Walsh wrote:

> I don't trust Motorola any further than what their largest customer(s)
> are using for production!

Engage Rave mode -:)

I'm afraid I have to agree with this unfortunately. Been caught out by
Motorola a few
times now (also in the RF field, PLLs, RF chips etc). A few years ago
they suddenly
decided to prune about 30% of their chip lines, and they appear to have
kept this up.

More often its the simple support chips (eg. Motorola tried to prune the
MC68160 ethernet
companion chip recently, but reversed that decision after industry
outcry) that obsolete
your card unexpectedly rather than the main processor.

It's a pity because they have some really cool stuff. I wonder if they
realise how much
market share they are now losing due to probably short sighted
accounting department
decisions. Motorola now a has a reputation for unexpected "prunes" in
the industry
that will be pretty hard to lose.

Embedded products tend to have longer lifetimes than PC/desktop/consumer
products.
It seems incredible that a company with as much experience in this field
as Motorola
doesn't realise this.

Cheers,
Bruce
intended
addressed.
If you have received this email in error please notify the system
manager.

    /\\\/\\\/\\\    /   /    Bruce Paterson          VK3TJN
   /  \\\ \\\ \\\  /   /     Senior Design Engineer
  /   /\\\/\\\/\\\/   /      87 Peters Ave, Mulgrave, Vic, 3170
 /   /  \\\ \\\ \\\  /       PO Box 4112, Mulgrave, Vic, 3170, AUSTRALIA
/   /    \\\/\\\ \\\/        Ph: +61 3 8561 4232  Fax: +61 3 9560 9055
      Tele-IP Ltd.           Email: bruce at tele-ip.com    Icq: #32015991
                             WWW:   http://www.tele-ip.com