[uClinux-dev] about external interrupts

Tom Walsh tom at cyberiansoftware.com
Fri Nov 9 04:41:24 EST 2001

846cb5a5def91b3df2 wrote:

> OS, it seemed that a device driver would be necessary. I've searched the maillist
> for informations. It helped a lot.

Also, get yourself a copy of "Linux Device Drivers, Second Edition",
ISBN # 0-596-00008-1, it is the difinitive work outlining linux device
drivers.

>     But I'm still puzzled about that whether my simple device is a character
> device, or my device dose not need any drivers at all?. And if the driver is
> necessary, what are the major and minor numbers of the device?

I just do an 'ls -l /dev' to see what numbers are not used there, then
assign a major device number to 'misc' and choose an unused minor
number.  It is not magic, the Major/Minor of the /dev node needs to
match that of the device driver so it can "hook" itself to a device that
humans can write programs to talk to..

TomW