[uClinux-dev] some guidelines

Bruce Paterson bruce at tele-ip.com
Thu Nov 8 18:16:56 EST 2001

Thomas Andrews wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just joined the list so please forgive me if this question has been
> answered a thousand times.
>
> I'd like to know if using uClinux on a QUICC with 32MB of RAM and say 2MB of
> flash makes sense on a board that's used as a kind of a "gateway" device.
> The protocols I want to support would be SNMP v3, ftp (for upgrades) SSH if
> it makes sense, and perhaps RIP2/OSPF or maybe STP. Initially I would put
> two of these units together to make an ethernet bridge, but later maybe have
> some routing capability. (connected via some totally proprietary hardware)

I've just been through this myself for a MC68360. Got it working only
yesterday !
I'm investigating uClinux as an alternative to the now defunct pSOS and
so far
what I've been able to achieve is very impressive.
I noticed in the userland cvs list there is routed, so that should cover
your
RIP/OSF requirements straight off. There is also an snmpd. I haven't
looked at it
yet but I doubt it would be v3 (probably based on CMU snmp v1, but I
could be wrong!!!).
There is also ftp, pppd and ssh, and flash burning stuff in there.

There also seems to be some ipchains/ifpwadm support to help you do some
firewalling,
so I would say it's looking good.
The 2MB of Flash should be sufficient if you compress the image from RAM
(ie. Always
run in RAM). I do this on our current card using zlib (even before I
looked into
uClinux).

If you mean an MPC860 QUICC or better then you're even better off since
you also
have an mmu.

Cheers,
Bruce
intended
addressed.
If you have received this email in error please notify the system
manager.

    /\\\/\\\/\\\    /   /    Bruce Paterson          VK3TJN
   /  \\\ \\\ \\\  /   /     Senior Design Engineer
  /   /\\\/\\\/\\\/   /      87 Peters Ave, Mulgrave, Vic, 3170
 /   /  \\\ \\\ \\\  /       PO Box 4112, Mulgrave, Vic, 3170, AUSTRALIA
/   /    \\\/\\\ \\\/        Ph: +61 3 8561 4232  Fax: +61 3 9560 9055
      Tele-IP Ltd.           Email: bruce at tele-ip.com    Icq: #32015991
                             WWW:   http://www.tele-ip.com