[uClinux-dev] some guidelines

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Thu Nov 8 17:56:16 EST 2001

Jivin Kendrick G. Hamilton lays it down ...
> On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Thomas Andrews wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just joined the list so please forgive me if this question has been
> > answered a thousand times.
> >
> > I'd like to know if using uClinux on a QUICC with 32MB of RAM and say 2MB of
> > flash makes sense on a board that's used as a kind of a "gateway" device.
> You have enough memory to run uClinux. We are running it on 2.5MB of ram
> and 1 MB of flash.

I think most people would agree that 32Mb is enough RAM :-)
The siz eof flash required is dependant on the size and number of apps you
load.

> > The protocols I want to support would be SNMP v3, ftp (for upgrades) SSH if

SNMP is quite big (230K binary,  600K+ runtime)

> > it makes sense, and perhaps RIP2/OSPF or maybe STP. Initially I would put

If you go for something like Zebra then is it also quite large:

	RIP   - 167K binary
	OSPF  - 270K binary
	ZEBRA - 124K binary

I think it's about 700K ripd+zebra runtime.

So it won't take long to use up 2Mb of flash if you are putting in a lot of
large (in the embedded sense) apps.  Although you look fairly safe with
your requirements so far.

With 32Mb of RAM you can always store everything compressed in ROM to buy
more space and just expand it into RAM.

> > two of these units together to make an ethernet bridge, but later maybe have
> > some routing capability. (connected via some totally proprietary hardware)
> >
> > I'm sure this brief description is too broad and vague, but what I'm really
> > trying to find out is what the problems are in developing such an
> > application. I've chosen linux because the device is likely to be
> > unprotected by firewalls, so I want something I know and trust.
> >
> > I'm about to build uClinux for the existing hardware we have, just to get a
> > feel for things, but I have no idea where I'm likely to get stuck in the
> > future. What are the main difficulties and limitations I will encounter ?

The best way to find out is play with it :-)

davidm at snapgear.com  Fx: +61 7 3891 3630  825 Stanley St., W'gabba QLD 4102, Oz