[uClinux-dev] ARM7TDMI uClinux development [newbie questions]

Erwin Authried eauth at softsys.co.at
Thu Nov 8 04:40:37 EST 2001

Tomas Heran schrieb:

> Hello all,
> I have few newbie questions and it would be very nice, if someone could
> "kickstart" me. The hardware I have (or going to get very very soon) is
> prototype board based on ARM7TDMI core. It has DRAM and FLASH and
> obviously no MMU.
>
> My questions are here:
> - what kernel I should get (2.0.x, 2.4.x, from CVS or from download) ?
> - what crosscompiler to get ? I've been doing some Linux ARM development
>   in the past and I have Russel King's 2.95.3 toolchain - is this one
>   fine ?
2.0.x is more tested, 2.4.x has a lot more features. I haven't seen any
stability problems with the 2.4 kernel in the last time. I think that
most of the development will be for 2.4.x. gcc-2.95.3 is fine, gcc-3.x
should work too. gcc-2.96 from the Aplio distribution has some serious
bugs, I wouldn't use that. You can download a complete distribution with
Web based configuration from http://uclinux.home.at/midori/.

> - is there any "overview/big picture" paper on how port to mmu-less
>   platform is working ?

There are a lot of links regarding uclinux and ARM7 at
http://uclinux.home.at/.

-Erwin