[uClinux-dev] 5272, bootloader, and "Calibrating Delay Loops.."

radwin rzagala at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 6 20:14:50 EST 2001

Hi!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Travis Griggs" <tgriggs at keyww.com>
To: "Ian Leonard" <ileonard at ntlworld.com>
Cc: "uCLinux" <uclinux-dev at geekcreek.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 12:03 AM
Subject: Re: [uClinux-dev] 5272, bootloader, and "Calibrating Delay Loops.."

> Ian Leonard wrote:
>

> > On 2001.11.05 23:11 Travis Griggs wrote:
> >
> >> I am thrilled to say that we got this working! Thank you, thank you,
> >> thank you to those who provided the helpful hints a couple of days
> >> ago. Especially Greg Ungerer. What you write the registers (long vs
> >> short vs char) as can make a big difference. :)
> >>
> >> I've attached the working version. We're a bit unclear to as to where
> >> to go with it from here. We don't have an ftp site of our own readily
> >> available. But we figured others might find it useful. We've added a
> >> README.5272 to the directory which documents what we added and some of
> >> our findings.
> >

> > Hi Travis,
> >
> > Well done, you are a hero!
> >
> > Unfortunately I can't make it work. This is my inexperience. If I
> > download the image via ftp (dn -i colilo.bin). There appears to be
> > a 0x400 byte offset to the start of the code. At first I thought this
> > was an offset into the flash device. However my manual says
> > it should be 0x100.
> >
> > If I move it to the flash (upuser) and move JP13, nothing happens.
> >
> > In fact I am generally confused and would appreciate your help.
> > BTW, I have a Motorola evaluation board (M5272C3).
>
> The blind leading the blind here. :) I am trying to recollect what the
> above (dn -i colilo.bin) does. If I remember right, this loads the code
> into RAM at 0x20000 (or there abouts). You want to be a little more
> drastic than that. You want to overwrite the dBug program that is in
> flash with colilo. To do that, you'll need a flash programmer. Maybe
> there's a way to do it with dBug, I dunno. This is the one piece I still
> have to use Windows for, because the flash programmer we have only works
> on windows. If anyone has any tips on what tools/methods/techniques are
> available for programming flash from a host Linux box, I would really
> appreciate it. As it is, we used the following process:
>
> 1) attach our BDM cable
> 2) reset the chip (from the programmer)
> 3) erase the module
> 4) flash the bootloader (colilo)
> 5) flash uClinux
> 6) power the board down, pull the BDM cable, and repower
>
> 4 & 5 are reversible. For our flash programmer, we HAD to use srecord
> formats, and they had to be S3 type records.
>
> The bootloader lives at 0xffe00000. It must be there. The default
> location of the uClinux image should 0xffe20000. At one point, we were
> playing with running it (the bootloader) from 0xffe40000, which dBug
> defines as "user" flash. To make this work, I *think* the linker script
> would have to be modified a bit (and maybe a parameter in the C code).
> Also, the default address of uClinux would probably be somewhere beyond
> the bootloader (that would be a chance in main.c). We gave up, wondering
> if dBug and colilo were messing each other up. In retrospect, I don't
> think they were, and this indeed might actually work. I may have to give
> [...]

I guess he wanted to have colilo in the other half of the flash and not overwrite dbug. In this case, he could use dbug's upuser command to flash colilo. You're right, he needs to modify the ld script of colilo to specify where he wants it to be located, lets say 0xffe80000(the other half of the flash). Then download colilo(dn -i colilo.bin offset) at 0x80000(offset). Issuing the upuser command will then flash colilo at 0xffe80000. Setting the jumper JP17 will result in an option between booting colilo or dbug. Remeber to check first if colilo is correctly downloaded at 0x80000.

Hope this helps!

Radwin Zagala