[uClinux-dev] which version of GCC is good for arm-uclinux porting ?

Durgesh Pattamatta DPattamatta at valencesemi.com
Mon Nov 5 23:47:27 EST 2001

Hi,

I am trying to port uclinux2.4.x to ARM946ES processor based board.
Initially I downloaded GCC 2.95.3 and binutils 2.11.2 and built arm-linux
tool chain with uclibc. I was able to get kernel up and mount romfs. But
then while loading the images from romfs I found that I need to build FLT
images which need "-mdisable-got -msingle-pic-base" options available in
GCC. These options were missing in GCC 2.95.3 standard distribution.
So, then I searched and found GCC 2.96 20000407 available at
http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/ports/arm7tdmi/ and built kernel. Kernel
came up fine. But while building busybox I came across strange assembler
messages. After lot of research on uclinux user group list archive I found
that by removing "-O2" options will bypass the problem. But it was of no use
because the busy box crashed as soon as it is loaded. Then I found that the
parameters passed to main() function of busy box were not proper. Then again
after searching on archive list I found that there are some strange compiler
problems with 2.96 version and reported at
http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/archive/0740.html. I followed that thread
and added "-fomit-frame-pointer" option to my CFLAGS but it didn't help me.

So, I came back to square one of porting : "searching for proper compiler
tool chain to build uclinux on ARM9 based boards"..............

That was my sad saga...... Please somebody out there help in finding proper
GCC toolchain to build uclinux2.4.x and busybox0.52 for ARM9 processor.

regards,
durgesh