[uClinux-dev] 5272, bootloader, and "Calibrating Delay Loops.."

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Thu Nov 1 21:05:52 EST 2001

Hi Travis,

Travis Griggs wrote:
> Steve Johnson wrote:
> >    If you're hanging in "Calibrating Delay Loops..", usually your
> > interrupts aren't set up correctly.  Check your timer interrupt.
> >
> > Travis Griggs wrote:
> >>  uphill struggle for us. After telling it to (b)oot, it indicates that
> >> it is uncompressing the kernel, and then we see it start to boot
> >> uClinux. It gets as far as "Calibrating Delay Loops..". We put some
> >> printk lines in and it appears that jiffies is never incrementing.
> >> from what (very little) I understand about jiffies, thats not a good
> >> thing. When we ran it on top of dBug, it booted fine. So... I'm hoping
> >> there's someone out there that
>
> Which one? The 5272 has 4 timers. How do I know which one(s) uClinux
> wants to use.

Use the source.
File ~/linux/arch/m68knommu/platform/5272/config.c
routine coldfire_timer_init(). It uses timer 1.

> The part that's confusing me is what does the bootloader
> take responsibility for. My naive sense is that if uClinux is going to
> be registering interrupt handlers, it's its job to get them setup. But
> this is not entirely the case, I'm discovering.

It does all neccessary work to setup each individual interrupt
that it uses. It doesn't neccessarily setup system level, non
peripheral specific registers. (Although it could also do this,
no-one has wanted/needed it so far).

Greg Ungerer  --  Chief Software Wizard        EMAIL:  gerg at snapgear.com
SnapGear                                       PHONE:    +61 7 3435 2888
Woolloongabba, QLD, 4102, Australia              WEB:   www.snapgear.com